Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Soccer Fiasco

We signed Jakey up for soccer a few weeks ago at the Y. He loves playing soccer with Daddy and his buddy, so I thought it would be a great idea... not!
The first time we went he screamed, because the other kids touched his ball! The second time he saw that the pool was next door, told everyone "I am done with the ball. I go to the big pool"... and that was it. The third time, he sat at the door to the gym and screamed his head off to go in, and so on. Today he actually participated in half of the game (big accomplishment) and even kicked the ball a few times! Since today was our last practise/ game he was rewarded with a trophy.
I realize that 3 is very early for organized sports, but I didn't sign him up to become the next Beckham. I signed him up, so he can have fun, be with other kids, learn to be part of a team, and maybe make some friends. It bothers me to see the other parents who are screaming and yelling at their 3 year olds to kick the ball harder and run faster... and roll their eyes because my kid doesn't even know what team he is on, let alone knows what sport he is playing. Yes, he still says he is playing basketball.... This should be fun for everyone and just teach the kiddos some values and not major skills. I am proud of my little man, he came a long way and really deserved his trophy!

On our way home, he was holding very proud his trophy in his hand and told me: "I want to play basketball again, Mommy!" Ouch!

2 comments:

  1. Our sports experiences so far have been fiascos too ;)

    Love the new look of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweetie!! He sounds about as into sports as I am ;)

    ReplyDelete